Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This place makes me so happy...

Hi there!  I have a fun paper straw tutorial up on the Bella Blvd. blog today, and I would like to share it with you.


This Place Makes Me So Happy


I have been in love with all of the colorful paper straws that I have been finding in stores
lately for summer, and even more in love with the new trend of using them on layouts! 
I purchased some plain white paper straws online and decided that it would be fun to
make my own pattern paper straws using Bella's papers and washi tapes.  I love the look!


Step 1:  To create my own custom straws first I gathered up an assortment of pattern
papers and designer tapes.


Step 2: I used a paper trimmer to trim thin strips of pattern papers and designer tapes
(measuring about 1/4 of an inch x 12).
tip: I found that when trimming strips of designer tape it is easier to adhere it to a strip of
cardstock or paper scrap first before trimming it with a trimmer.

Here is what the strips look like after they have been cut. 


Step 3: Apply adhesive to the backside of the paper strip.

 
Step 4: Working at the top of a paper straw start wrapping the paper strip around in a
diagonal twirled fashion. 


 Step 5: When you get to the end of the paper straw cut off the excess paper and glue the
ends down.  I found that a strong liquid glue works well for this.



Here is a shot of all the paper straws after I wrapped them all.
 
Step 6: Last, I arranged them on my layout and glued them down using a strong liquid glue.
After they dried, I cut off the excess pieces, and added my photo and embellishments.




 
This was super fun and so easy to do!  Hope you enjoy!


Bella Blvd. supplies: 

Sand and Surf: Paradise, Surf's Up, Flying High, Beach Balls, Borders, Cute Cuts
Cardstock Stickers: Alpha + Bits, Just Write Journaling Stickers
Chipboard: Sand & Surf Chipboard Icons
 

Designer Tapes: Pony Stripe, 12 mm Combo, Polka Dot Combo, Ice Stripe, Pickle Juice
Chevron, Hot Pink Dot, Punch Chevron








5 comments:

  1. Super cool idea! Love the picture and all of the colors against the white background too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this on the Bella blog earlier and didn't have a chance to comment. This is such a cool idea and such a creative page, Gina! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great photo and a very fun technique!! gorgeous LO Gina..x

    ReplyDelete