Monday, February 28, 2011

feeling blessed...

I have so many wonderful things in my life that I am grateful for. My family is amazing, my friends are amazing, my husband is amazing and I am grateful everyday for what he has given up and gone through to fight for our country. To those of you that don't know our story - here is a little breakdown. Frank is in the army National Guard and was sent to a heavy combat zone in Afghanistan with his engineering unit to build roads in 2005. He didn't return home until 2007, and shortly afterwards started showing side effects of his service. He was diagnosed with combat PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) in 2008. Then the 'battle' really began of trying to get help through the VA, to find the right combination of treatments, counseling and medication. At times it took everything within us to fight the disorder and not give up on hope. In the summer of 2009 we finally began to get results. We found a team of doctors through our insurance (we gave up on the VA, because they were only medicating him and not treating the problem) and Frank made a huge turn around. It was at that point that I felt for the first time that I had my husband back. I took a deep breath and thanked God that everything was going to be all right. Then within days my body started shutting down, I was very fatigued and started experiencing pain all over. There were days that I couldn't get out of bed, and to make things worse, I couldn't sleep at night either. After 5 months at the doctors office going through test after test, and 1 diagnostic lab surgery I finally got my answer. I had Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome caused by secondary PTSD. I had never heard of secondary PTSD before, so I did some research and found out that it is common amongst military wives that have to take on the stress and anxiety that goes along with deployments. Well, that diagnosis was a year ago today, and even though I still have days that I am laid up in bed, I have more good days then bad. I recently made a commitment with a fellow friend (who also has Fibromyalgia) to join Weight Watchers. I am proud to say that in one weeks time I have already lost 4 pounds. I am exercising everyday too. I am blessed to live in such a beautiful neighborhood that when the weather is nice I like to walk around the lake. This is the view when I step outside.


We live right next to a private lake, and it is so beautiful and peaceful to walk there.





Today was a great day, I walked 3 miles and went jogging too. It is amazing to think how far we have come in 1 year. Frank received a bronze star medal from his service and recently received a promotion at work as a Senior Civil engineer. I am so proud of him and so thankful for the improvements in my health and his too. Just going to keep looking on the bright side of things and enjoy spending time with my family everyday. Feeling so blessed right now.
Can't wait for what tomorrow brings...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Gina ~ I am super patriotic and appreciate and value our men and women in uniform so much ! I am so happy for you that things are turning around for you and your husband. God Bless and thank you to you are your soldier for your valiant service to our country!
    HUGS !
    Alex

    ReplyDelete